Thursday, November 28, 2013

Women Against Feminism?

I understand that feminism is a prohibited word for many people, mainly because patriarchy taught us not to respect women in every possible way. Society and media undress, minimise, ridicule and objectify women as a common process. Women in cinematography are not presented as active characters but more like talking objects. In this society we have all been groomed to hate women, even women hate women. I often hear women say "I'm not like all the other women.." but they have no idea how insulting for them is this phrase. Why would it be a bad thing to be like all the other women? The answer is that society has classified females as the most shameful and negative thing ever. So women in order to adopt the views of society they have to make themselves manlier and  insult their gender as they have been taught!
Seeing pictures like the above literally breaks my heart. I can't breathe thinking that many women out there demonizing feminism cause they don't even know what it means. They haven't even thought about the extra struggles they face because society learned them that they deserve to struggle cause wait... they are women and women are inferior creatures. All I'm saying is that we have a chance to make this world equal, really equal and the only way to do this is to get informed. 

Gracie

9 comments:

  1. That picture really is sad. Feminism isn't about entitlements or supremacy, or anything like that. It's not about being the better sex, or "having it over" men. I really wish people would get informed, because there is so much information out there on feminism. If you feel that strongly about it to hold up a sign, then you should really do more research.
    Good post. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, that sign hurts my head. Feminism is about equality. I am not saying that there are not "Man Haterz" out there who call themselves feminists, but they aren't. More of us need to get vocal about what feminism really is and not be afraid to call out people when they miss use the term. We need a education about feminism campaign.

      Delete
    2. Seems to me this sign is somewhat more akin to a Post-Left Anarchist style examination of the concept than to Anti-Feminist thought.

      Delete
  2. It always makes me angry when people don´t (want to) understand feminism, especially when it could improve their lifes. But as you said, these people lack the knowledge what feminism really is about and instead believe the ridiculing comments spread by certain groups of people how feminism is a thread to society or something for ugly girls in dungarees (and ugly girls really can´t be taken serious because, well, they are ugly and just p***ed because they don´t get a man!). Some time ago I read something interesting on tumblr that basically said "The people you are trying to impress with your anti-feminist comments shouldn´t be worth your admiration because they obviously don´t want you to be equal to them." Sums it up pretty well, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog is so nice! I love it! Wanna follow each other?

    www.thesequincinderella.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man, that "I'm not like the other girls" thing makes me so mad. What makes you not like the other girls? Do you have 3 heads or something?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the word feminism also has a bad sound to some, since in some countries, like in mine, some females think that feminism is about women having all the power. They think that there shouldn't be such a thing as a national men's day as there already is fathers' day. They think it's about women having the right to say nasty things about men, having the right to mentally and even physically abuse them. It's sad, really, to do that in the name of feminism.

    But it tells more about the people doing that than really about feminism as a thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so so much for posting this. I call myself a feminist, but a lot of my (girl!) friends automatically cringe whenever I use that word, and they get THE WRONG PICTURE. They think of a terrifyingly outspoken, loud, obnoxious female with as many "male" characteristics as possible (like you said). They also tell me that "feminists don't shave their armpits" which is ridiculous. There's this picture painted for feminists, and people don't realize that anyone is a feminist as long as they don't believe that females are inferior/ should stay within gender roles.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No man has ever hated me the way women have. I wonder why that is.

    /Avy

    http://mymotherfuckedmickjagger.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...