Thursday, October 31, 2013

Putting Women Down

It has always been a trend to minimise, slut shame or ridicule women for their choices. This is actually the result of a patriarchal society. Men believe that they have the right to put down girls, calling them names without any reason, just because society taught them that they can. This behavior is in many ways acceptable in such a way that young girls and women try to minimise the damage of the ridicule. One of the most common way to avoid the shame, is placing the shame on someone else or even laugh about it.
Entire generations of women have been raised with the thought that slut shamming other women is acceptable. It's actually not acceptable and most definitely doesn't give the right on men to continue their bulling.
Many times I wonder if some "mean girls" realise how hard they sound when they say "cover up, this is not an appropriate outfit". Why should someone cover up? Do we have something to hide or our oversexualised bodies can't be seen as they are without shedding a tear.
All these ideas came in my mind when I read the latest interview of Katy Perry and I was extremely angry that she can be so arrogant and disrespectful. She said  “I do see myself becoming this, whatever, inspiration out of default right now, ’cause it’s such a strange world. Like females in pop – everybody’s getting naked. I mean, I’ve been naked before but I don’t feel like I have to always get naked to be noticed.I’m not talking about anyone in particular. I’m talking about all of them. I mean, it’s like everybody’s so naked. It’s like put it away. We know you’ve got it. I got it too. I’ve taken it off for – I’ve taken it out here and there. And I’m not necessarily judging" 
So I'm guessing that in some occasions, when Katy thinks it's appropriate to get naked women in pop industry should be naked but if she changes her mind and the timing it's not right any more then F them.
I think that Katy Perry should have known better.. She's a woman in pop industry that has been mocked many times for her choices, so why does she tries to slut shame all the other artists.
The most hurtful part is that if this world came from a man's mouth I could have said that he has no idea what he's talking about, but now this is too much.

Gracie

3 comments:

  1. It is really hard to hear women slut shaming! It makes me feel hopeless too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really think Katy Perry is one of the last people who should be saying that. Pot calling the kettle back, much?

    I am under the belief that if you want to flaunt it then do it, but don't think you HAVE to. Sometimes I wonder how many of the pop stars really want to be as stripped as they get. If you aren't enjoying yourself or are doing it just to sell your image, then I think you are degrading yourself for others. The key is being true to yourself.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...