Saturday, September 7, 2013

Roar of Feminism?

Hello everyone :)
I just watched the new Katy Perry music video called "Roar"
and I was happily surprised!
The song was obviously corny, the lyrics were unbearably cliche but 
the video was really really really nice.
I feel that the song tries to give a liberating feeling about being an independent woman (and fails) but the video is actually the one element that brings out the liberated woman.
The story of the video is quite simple,
Katy and her bf just crashed their plane in the jungle, then a huge tiger devours her cocky bf and she transforms into a superwoman/Jane Porter.
This transformation contains stereotypical (in a man's view) woman behaviour, 
  • she takes a showers and laughs for no reason, 
  • she paints the nails of an elephant, 
  • she brushes the teeth of a crocodile 
  •  she puts a collar on the tiger 
and generally she forces all the animal kingdom  to undergo a makeover!
But
she destroys her heels and makes a weapon out of them
she defeats the tiger who threatened her life and ate her bf
and then she becomes the King of the jungle!
Nope she's not a queen!
I can tell that she's a king by the way her legs are spread as far as possible clearly in manly way,
her arms are relaxed in a powerful position ,
and her chin is high!
I really adore how not feminine this pose is..
I believe that this video is awesome because of these two scenes.
These parts of the video show the real emancipation of a woman, when the gender roles collapse
and she becomes the most powerful creature.
I think that this element should be kept as a slight sight of feminism in pop culture.
Breaking stereotypes one at a time!

Gracie

3 comments:

  1. axaaaaaaa !!! alaksan kai ta comments !!!! i like it an k den exw dei t video tha sumfwnisw katy filh m atleast you tried

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh fabulous! I love it! I also really love that video but neither my friends or family can understand why. But that is it. Right there - you nailed it. I also agree the lyrics are corny and the video definitely contains 'normal' women behaviour, but it's still really empowering. Especially the subtle breaking of the gender stereotypes. :)

    xxLissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh fabulous! I love it! I also really love that video but neither my friends or family can understand why. But that is it. Right there - you nailed it. I also agree the lyrics are corny and the video definitely contains 'normal' women behaviour, but it's still really empowering. Especially the subtle breaking of the gender stereotypes. :)

    xxLissa

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...