Friday, December 28, 2012

The Foundation Diaries : Drugstore Top 3

Hello everyone today we've invited Nikki from Smoke and Mirrors to share with us a throughout review on foundations!
I'm always a little skeptical when it comes to foundations because I'm afraid they look weird on my skin but I've never tried out these brands :) Next time I'm in a drugstore I'll definitely check these out!

For more beauty and make up tutorials and tips check out her awesome blog!


Being a bit of a beauty junkie, I'm always trying out new products. Foundation is something I don't tend to switch up very often though as just with skincare, I think chopping and changing too often isn't great for your skin. I have tried my fair share of drugstore (high street) foundations though, and thought I'd give you a quick review of my top 3...



Almost all of the brands available in UK drugstores have quite a few products I am a fan of, but Revlon, Maxfactor and Rimmel are definitely up there with my favourites. I think they are all very 'on the ball' when it comes to keeping up with current trends, and bringing out their own versions of new types of products launched by premium brands. The quality of their products against their price points are also fantastic, and I'd highly recommend you check them out if you're looking to renew some of your makeup without breaking the bank.


Getting 3rd place on my list is the Rimmel Wake Me Up Foundation.

This is a fairly new product in their range, and although there was so much hype when it was first launched, I was never that desperate to try it out. My skin is a little oily, so I tend to steer clear of foundations claiming to give radiance, as I don't want to create any more shine on my face. I've heard so many people raving about this though, even those with slightly oily skin, so thought I'd give it a bash. I was pleasantly surprised with how well it sat on my skin and also how well it lasted! I do have to make sure I use a powder to set it and sometimes have to touch that up during the day. But other than that it looks great! It's a slightly creamy/liquid formula, gives a nice healthy glow to the skin, is easily blended and gives a medium but buildable coverage. I have only tested this in the shade Ivory, which is suitable for me at my palest. I'm quite keen to try out darker shades when I have applied tan though. I'd say this is a great product for those with dry skin, but can really be used on any skin type as long as you have the right skincare underneath, and powder well if necessary. I haven't actually worn this on a night out yet, so not sure how well it photographs. I would think it possibly does have a little flashback though given it contains SPF ingredients.

Available here from Boots at £8.99 for a 30ml bottle.


2nd place goes to the Revlon Colourstay Foundation.

This has been my holy grail of foundations for years. I normally use the Oily/Combination skin version, but accidentally purchased the Normal/Dry skin version when hurrying round Boots recently. I still think it's great and lasts very well, but do prefer the formula of the oily/combination skin version. This is a medium to full coverage foundation in my opinion, but is pigmented enough for a little to go a long way if you're not keen on that much coverage. It lasts extremely well, so is perfect for evening makeup in terms of its lasting power. The only downside though is that it tends to give flashback due to the SPF ingredients. It's great for every day use though, or if you're attending any events in the evening where you're not intending on having your photo taken. I tend to stick to the Sand Beige and Natural Beige shades depending on whether I've applied tan or not. I'd recommend applying this with a duo fibre/buffing brush to ensure it is well blended.

Given Revlon do two versions of this product, it's therefore suitable for all skin types. Just make sure you pick up the right version for you unlike what I did!

**This is a liquid formulation, and the bottles do not come with pumps. So be very careful, as it can get messy when pouring from the bottle!

Available here from Boots at £12.49 for a 30ml bottle.


1st place goes to the MaxFactor Lasting Performance Foundation.

This is another product which has been around for a while, but I only tried it out for the first time around a year ago. I had heard quite a few good things about it, so gave it a bash, and ended up purchasing a few shades for my kit. This has a lovely creamy formula, glides onto the skin so easily and blends extremely well. I'd say it is a medium coverage, but is buildable if you'd like a little more. The formula is also great for mixing shades together to create the perfect match for your skin tone. This contains no SPF ingredients (so if you're wearing this during the day, particularly in sunny weather, ensure you apply a moisturiser with SPF underneath!), so I haven't had any flashback problems at all with it. It's not specifically for oily skin, but I haven't found that I need to powder it quite as much as the Rimmel Wake Me Up Foundation. I'd therefore say it's really suitable for any skin type, but again ensuring you have the right skincare underneath and powder on top, will increase it's lasting power.

Available here from Boots at £9.99 for a 35ml bottle.


I'd say all 3 products are very reasonable in terms of price, and I'd happily pay full price for all of them. However if you're considering purchasing them from Boots, keep a lookout for their 3 for 2 or free gift offers, as these 3 brands regularly feature on these.

I hope this post has been helpful to anyone struggling to chose from the many drugstore products on the market. All 3 of the brands have various foundation types on offer though, so be sure to check out the rest of their ranges!

x

5 comments:

  1. MaxFactor is available where I live :( Revlon ColorStay has been raved about a lot on Blogger and Youtube. Maybe I'll give that one a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a really great post! I love the Revlon foundation and I have been really wanting to try out the Rimmel foundation, but they don't have this one where I live yet.
    the-creationofbeauty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. My "one and only" favourite is the anti blemish foundation by Clinique, but lately I've been in love of the Face and Body by MAC, those two are my treasures :)

    See you dear!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the great feedback :) MAC Face and Body is a great product...I'm going to be doing a high end foundation review soon and that is likely to feature.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ps. Maxfactor can be purchased on eBay, so you should be able to have it shipped to wherever you live :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...