Friday, December 7, 2012

Guest Post-Predictions For The Past

Hello everyone :)
Today we have an awesome diy guest post!
Erin the owner of Predictions for the Past will show you a super easy way to transform your old purse!

Purse Makeover DIY

Hello Bubble My Licorice readers! I'm Erin, the author/photographer/evil genius behind Predictions for the Past.  Predictions is a life and style blog about my adventures in personal style, living away from my hometown for the first time, and living a fulfilling artful life. Plus, Predictions is one of Bubble My Licorice's sponsors for the month of December. So hi, hello, and it's a pleasure to meet you all!  

I have a fun and easy DIY to share with you (this is my first guest post, so I'm pretty excited about this!).  Today, we're going to learn how to give an old bag a facelift with a bold new pattern!

You Will Need:
  • Masking tape or self adhesive drawer liner (ConTact Paper)
  • Scissors or Craft Knife
  • Paintbrushes - something large to fill in, and a thinner one for touch ups
  • Acrylic Fabric Paints
  • An Old Purse in need of some love! The bag can be fabric or leather, however leather bags will need thinner coats of paint and additional drying time so the paint won't peel.


Method:
  1. Thoroughly clean the surface you will be painting.  Plan out your design on a piece of paper, and cut it out of masking tape or contact paper and apply to the bag.  Be sure to press down really hard, to help prevent the paint from bleeding!
  2. Fill in the main parts to be painted with 2-3 thin coats, allowing to thoroughly dry in between.  Work colour by colour, and do not remove your stencil until the paint is completely dry.  Always paint starting on top of the masked off parts, keeping brush strokes pointed in toward the centre of your stencil.  This will help prevent paint from bleeding under your masking tape/contact paper.  
  3. Remove your stencil.  Don't worry if your lines are a little wonky, these will be touched up later!
  4. Paint in the other colours you want.  I wanted to do red edging, so I waited until all my masking was removed to paint it.  If you are painting on top of a dark colour, mix a little white paint into your base coat to keep the colours nice and bright! If you are painting free hand, take your time and be neat.  Paint 2-3 thin coats, letting dry well in between coats.




All done! Time to enjoy the fruits of your labour and rock your spiffed up purse in a cute little outfit.  There are lots of patterns and designs you can apply to your bag, so customize your purse into a unique work of art that represents your style! The sky's the limit!!

11 comments:

  1. Oh wow, what a huge difference. Love the make over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! The purse looks a hundred percent better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh, you did a great job on this! It looks so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, so cool. A real '60s op art vibe going on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really cute! Drab to Fab!!

    pjmscloset.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not sure exactly why but this weblog is loading extremely slow for me. Is anyone else having this issue or is it a issue on my end? I'll check
    back later and see if the problem still exists.
    Here is my web-site - Amphora pipe tobacco

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's actually super cool! I don't need to buy a new purse I just need to revamp my old one!

    http://geekypinkness.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  8. really cute i must find an old bag to play with =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. twin peaks inspired? i need this!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...