Friday, September 28, 2012

Guest Post - Laura

Hello everyone :)

Today we are honored to have a great recipe form Laura!
She is an amazing blogger from England and besides literature she loves cooking!
She also takes amazing photos and looks gorgeous!(sorry I couldn't resist saying that..)
Her blog, Kitsunetsuki is totally awesome and and you can learn umpteen things.
so here's her delicious recipe :

Lemon & Almond Halo Cake


Hello! I'm Laura and I blog about food, books, art and life over at Kitsunetsuki. Today I'm sharing with you a recipe for a lovely moist lemon cake with an optional splash of almond! We've had a bit of a cake overload in the new house; it seems like every time I bake one my housemate Sophie brings home a batch from the shop she works at. I'm not complaining though, it's becoming a nice tradition to always have a slice or two in the fridge for moments of need! For this recipe you'll just need a cake tin and the basics. The almond elements can easily be missed out if you have allergies or aren't a fan--I tend to add them because I think all cakes are yummier with almonds!
You will need:
250g soft unsalted butter,
300g caster sugar,
250g self-raising flour,
4 eggs,
2 lemons,
almond essence or flavouring,
baking powder,
a handful of almonds,
100g icing sugar.
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan).
2. Beat the softened butter and 250g of the caster sugar together until creamy looking--if, like me, you're unlucky and don't have a machine mixer, it can help to cut the butter into small cubes and 'smoosh' the mixture against the side of the bowl!
3. Beat in the four eggs one at a time.
4. Add all the flour and 1 tsp baking powder, and mix.
5. Zest (or grate if, again, you're lacking in proper cooking equipment!) two large lemons.
6. Add 3/4 of the lemon zest, 2 tsp lemon juice and a splash of almond flavouring.
7. Move the mixture into a lined and greased cake tin, and bake in the pre-heated oven for 1 hour. To check if the cake is ready, slip a knife into the center at an angle: if it comes out clean, you're good to go.
8. To make the icing, mix the icing sugar with the remaining caster sugar (100g+50g) and add small quantities of water until it's liquid but still sticks to the back of a spoon. You'll want it quite watery to achieve the drizzle effect, but not so much that it all runs off the top! Add some lemon juice to the icing.
9. Leave the cake to cool, then ice and decorate with the remaining 1/4 lemon zest, and a handful of almonds around the edge.
10. Enjoy!

35 comments:

  1. mm so delicious!!!


    thanks for you lovely comment on my blog

    http://elcoffre.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. my weakness is any type of cake! dam....sooo want that now. YUMMY!!!!!!!

    Zara gift card giveaway for $400 on http://fashion-a-a-holic.com/page/17/

    ReplyDelete
  3. my weakness is any type of cake! dam....sooo want that now. YUMMY!!!!!!!

    Zara gift card giveaway for $400 on http://fashion-a-a-holic.com/page/17/

    ReplyDelete
  4. mhh... it looks so delicious! I´m always happy about new recipes, because I always do the same ones :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yuuuuums I need to try this some day!! It looks deli! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy yummy.*_*
    Maybe follow each other???
    My Blog

    ReplyDelete
  7. This cake is so yummy!
    Thanks for stopping by my blog, following you...willing we can follow each other! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. mmmm! beautiful! if you want go to my blog:)
    http://asunshineoffashion.blogspot.it/

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks for you're comment :)
    amazing cake !

    ReplyDelete
  10. mmmmmmmmmmm Can I have some please!!

    Helen

    x

    www.fragile-bird.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG I think I'm in love with your guys' and your hair!

    Following you now XD

    Thanks for checking out my blog and keep blogging you awesome people~! <3

    http://geekypinkness.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks so good!
    I will definitely have this try this!

    xox, Pam
    www.pammowerdesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing post! (;
    Thanks for your comment on my blog. xx
    Maybe u wanna follow each other?
    If u wanna, let me know. ♥

    Love, Jackffy
    jackffy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your blog! You have me intrigued!

    Erin

    thefashionfairyblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh man!
    i'm hungry already! :))

    xoxo, sundaesins.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. why did i think this was a recipe for a bath bomb? LOL looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow these looks seriously amazing, I’m drooling all over the screen here, I have to tray this receipt ASAP, I bet it taste as good at it looks, it doesn’t seem so complicated to prepare, I will give it a tray! Your have a lovely blog by the way and I am a new follower! Hope you will like my blog and follow back!

    Pop Culture&Fashion Magic

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi,
    thanks for visiting my blog and leaving such a lovely comment. I love the print of my shirt too... it`s still available at the Dorothy Perkins Online-Shop! :)
    Wanna follow each other? Please let me know.
    Greetings,
    Teal

    P.S.: I wish I had this wonderful cake. Amazing... I made a chocolate one at the weekend... almost eaten! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. looks tasty , I will definitely try to make it.
    I'll let you know ow it turned out

    love Elena

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you soo much!! ;)

    ...mmhm...looks delicious...

    ReplyDelete
  21. that cake looks heavenly! :)

    Just followed your blog! Hope you visit and follow mine too! :)
    Dainty MD
    http://daintybabymd.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks delicious, i'm oing to have to try this myself :)

    Follwoing you, hope you'll follow back!!

    ~Ping
    http://withinthesun.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  23. So lovely post!!!

    We can follow each other if u want :)

    Kisses,

    www.nicoleta.me

    ReplyDelete
  24. I LOVE your blog! I'm a new follower and was hoping that you might return the favor! Just go to: www.enjoyingtheepiphany.com, read it, and follow me if you like it! That'd be AMAZING!!

    Positively,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  25. This cake looks so delicious! Thank you for the lovely comment on my 'Cozy Sweaters' post!

    www.unexposedpleasure.blogspot.com

    xoxo,
    Sanne

    ReplyDelete
  26. aw such a great recipe!! your blog always great girls!!
    polla filia!
    sharingthepointofview.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...